BeCA has been informed the request came from a local resident and member of the Barker family. BeCA has come to understand David Barker was an important figure and pioneer businessman in the development of Caloundra. The park has been named to recognize his contribution to the Caloundra Community.
David John Barker and his wife moved to Caloundra in 1933 and opened the pharmacy “Barkers Pharmacy’ on Bulcock Street in 1936. War years saw him establish a radio hire and battery recharging business for the Australian and American Troops stationed at Battery Hill and Bribie Island. Anticipating a further need in the growing community he mastered spray painting and later electrical installations. Finally he qualified as a refrigeration mechanic, all the while, maintaining the flourishing Pharmacy Business.
David Barker was also very active in civil and local affairs being the foundation president and life member of Caloundra Bowls Club, life member of Caloundra Golf Club and a foundation member of the Caloundra Masonic Lodge.
His family continue to reside in the Caloundra area and BeCA has been informed that relatives still live in Glennie Close.